Friday 19 October 2012

DIY camera fun

I was given this camera kit a few months ago. It contains a bunch of plastic pieces and some incomprehensible instructions, translated from perhaps an alien language into English, with which you put together your own little twin lens reflex camera. Incidentally, if such a kit ever falls into your possession, you might want to toss the kit instructions and just use these, particularly for the shutter assembly.

Aside from some minor confusion prior to finding the right instructions (and by minor I mean I was so frustrated I almost cried), the camera was really fun to put together. It doesn't need batteries since the shutter is operated by a spring, and since you're putting it together yourself you get to see exactly how everything works inside the black box. Needless to say, this will delight you if, like me, you possess some degree of "huge nerd". I've shot 5 rolls of film with this camera so far, and I love how it sees the world.

******
 and of course, Gerrard:

5 comments:

  1. So awesome! It almost has a lensbaby feel up top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm...it sees the world like the beginning of a creepy movie! Seriously - all the tree shots look like they're out of those "Minority Report" dream sequences. Did you see that movie? That was a good movie! But I digress, it's a lovely horror movie :) I love the duck(?) and cat shots. Other-worldly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nicole, I just discovered your blog from your Flickr profile page. Not sure why I hadn't thought to check that before. Anyways, I love these photos you took using the DIY Gakkenflex TLR. I've been dreading the frustration of putting mine together, but after having seen these, you may have pushed me over that motivation hump to do it. Seriously, the colours and aesthetic you got with this camera are jaw dropping. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... it appears that this isn't the first time I've 'discovered' your blog, as it seems to show up on my 'follow' list. I guess that goes to show how often I check in to Blogger's 'blogs I'm following' page. My bad.

    ReplyDelete